07 Aug 2014 ElizabethMorrison

Mission Trips: Let’s Try Something New

No Comments Community, Home

Regent University - sponsor childHey readers! I hope your summer is going swimmingly (pun intended)! This summer, I’m focusing largely on this blog and my personal blog, along with gaining support and sponsors for the charity I am involved with. Every summer I find myself stuck in the house with nothing to do, having surrendered to the oppressive heat outside. I thought it was time to actually do something productive!

I am a child ambassador for World Vision International. We provide kids and communities in poverty with the resources to start building a decent infrastructure in their area. I’ve been sponsoring a child in Costa Rica since last April. She’s six years old and is entering the 1st grade. Her dad is a farm laborer and doesn’t make enough to send her or her sisters to school. Having learned this, I stepped in. A few months later, I applied to be an ambassador. I was accepted and given the task of finding sponsors for 10 kids a year. At first, I thought this would be the easiest thing I’ve ever done! However, I was so wrong.

It costs $35 a month to sponsor a child. The amount of money we spend on a two-week missions trip abroad could literally sponsor a child for most of their childhood and teenage life. I absolutely believe that mission trips are a good thing. I also think that long-term missions trips are more cost effective than just going for a few weeks. Knowing that I cannot pack up my life and move to a third-world country for a few months, I decided that sponsoring a child and sending money to missionaries already established in third-world nations was more effective than going for a week.

Many of my family members, friends and acquaintances have participated in mission trips and it’s a wonderful thing to see that people care. But with the rising cost of plane tickets and travel in general, I think it could be worth asking if it might be a wiser idea to sponsor a child, missionary, or organization already there. Or is the traveling aspect too glamorous and exciting to give up?

My sponsor child, Elizabeth, lives in one of the most exotic places on Earth! I would love nothing more than to hop on a plane and go see her. However, I know the money spent on that trip is better spent helping her long term. I want her to go to school, get good grades, find scholarships for college, and achieve her dreams! She can’t do that without my monthly sponsorship. I write letters, send packages, and get updates about Elizabeth every few months. I’m still connected with her and her family. If I don’t get to meet her on Earth, then I’ll meet her in Heaven. Some of the best things we do go unseen; this is one of them. If you’re interested in sponsoring a child, visit my sponsorship page and read more about my story and journey!

Tags: , ,
Elizabeth Morrison

BA in Communication

Online Student

Hollywood, MD

My favorite animal is the Jerboa (they are so adorable!) I've had over 8 internships and have studied both on campus and online.
No Responses to “Mission Trips: Let’s Try Something New”