02 Aug 2014 BrianTaylor

All In How You Face Your Mountain

No Comments Community, Home

Regent University - mountainsMy family and I recently visited nearby Mt. Trashmore. It’s a local park with all sorts of activities you can participate in. There are trails where you can literally walk around the “mountain.,” which is actually a large man-made hill that used to be a landfill (thus the name). There’s a lake and all sorts of food trucks with unimaginable treats. You have a spot where live concerts can entertain you, as well as a play area where kids of all ages can run and play around until their little hearts are content. My children even climbed a couple miniature mountains that were designed just for them.

While my family and I were there, one of the things I observed was the number of people who went up the actual mountain. Some chose to go up the steepest part, while others went up the side with the easier path. There were those who chose to take the stairs, while others only went as far as the middle point. Then you had some who went to that same middle spot, took a breather, and then went on their way to reach the top.

It reminded me how each of us has a choice in life. We all face mountains in our lives. Some of us will face it head on and run head long for the top while others will choose to stagger their trek. There will be some who will go part way and rest before going the distance. The greatest thing that you can do when you are facing a mountain is making the decision to do it.

Each year, thousands of students are choosing to come to Regent University with various goals, whether it’s to give themselves a better life and career, to get equipped to change a nation in the call that God has put in their heart, or to discover who they really are as a person. Whatever the reason may be, understand that it all begins with making a decision.

You don’t have to face the mountain in some cookie cutter way. The way God set things up for me isn’t and won’t be the same way God sets it up for someone else. We each see the beginning of the journey and know that there is a pinnacle to reach. There are great people we’ll meet on our climb, and the pace is attainable. I encourage you today to see the mountain, not as a mission impossible, but as wholly attainable. No matter what challenges have been put before you, with the right perspective, and a determined heart, you can make it.

Tags: , , , ,
Brian Taylor

BA in Business Administration

On-Campus Student

Virginia Beach, VA

Married for 5 years to one amazing woman of God, and father to three amazing children. I am continually amazed by God's grace and love towards us. I've seen challenges that only he could have brought me through.
No Responses to “All In How You Face Your Mountain”