30 Jul 2014 VictoriaHedman

Counting Freedom’s Cost

1 Comment Church, Community, Home

Regent University - Forget Me NotThe Fourth of July is a day of commemoration, as well as celebration. It’s the day that the Declaration of Independence was signed, making us a nation separate from England. It is also a day where many take the time to honor and remember those people who have served and died to protect our nation and our freedom as Americans.

Several people in my family have volunteered themselves to military service and have instilled into the younger generations an appreciation for that sacrifice. But as I was reflecting on this holiday that we know as Independence Day, I found myself going a little deeper than the top layer of patriotism, fireworks, and good food and focused instead on a more… spiritual meaning behind the day.

A few years back I heard a song called “Freedom’s Never Free” by Phillips, Craig, & Dean. In it, the artists express their appreciation for both the soldiers who have died to keep our freedom as a nation and the One who died to give us the choice of freedom for our souls. Listening to it again, I felt convicted.

I often find myself guilty of taking Christ’s sacrifice for granted, of losing the awe, fear and respect that should go along with that. If you really think about it, Jesus gave a lot up to make a way for us to get to the Father, and many times I don’t put that in the forefront of my mind as I go about my day. It should be though. Hell is just as real as Heaven and the cost to give us the option between the two was high.

Reflecting back on that, I couldn’t help but feel a renewal of that awe. Let us not forget the cost of our freedom, but rather remember that our life, our victory over the Enemy, is made possible in Christ and what He did for us.

Freedom from sin came,

On Calvary’s tree.

Righteous God

Gave Himself.

Eternal life was made available,

To you and me.

May we never forget,

Emmanuel’s sacrifice.

No one else could pay the price.

Others don’t realize it.

Tell them.

“Nevertheless, when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” 2 Corinthians 3:16-17 NKJV

Tags: , ,
Victoria Hedman

BA in English

On-Campus Student

Valdez, Alaska

I’m a Pastor’s Kid who loves Jesus, her family, and people. I also serve on the College Student Leadership Board as a Student Representative. I enjoy reading and writing, hence the degree in English. In the words of C.S. Lewis “you can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

One Response to “Counting Freedom’s Cost”

1. Reply Beverly says:

Excellent thoughts, thank you for sharing!