23 Jul 2014 ElizabethMorrison

Adventures in the Land of Classes and Internships

No Comments School, Work

Regent University - intern meeting

Hello readers and students! I’m writing this from a hotel in northern Virginia where I am preparing to begin my eighth internship! I’m a senior at Regent and majoring in communications with a minor in leadership studies. I started college in 2010 and lived on campus in Virginia Beach for a year and a half before accepting my first internship in Arlington, Va., halfway through my sophomore year.

You might be wondering how I’ve been able to do so many internships and keep up with school. It’s pretty simple, actually. Regent has a nifty online program that I have been lucky enough to participate in that allows me to intern wherever I want. My internships have taken me all over the country to places like California, Florida, Rhode Island, and elsewhere. While building an amazing resume, I’ve been able to learn online with great professors and classmates. It takes so much commitment and drive to keep up with everything, but God has a great future for me and I have to do all I can to achieve what I was meant to.

As I mentioned earlier, my internships have been all over the place. My first internship was at the Leadership Institute in Virginia. They took a big chance with me. I was the youngest intern, no experience, and a sophomore. I ended up flourishing there and impressing my superiors. I worked in the online programs department writing scripts for short webinars, helping produce webinars, and fulfilling other little intern tasks.

After this, I moved on to another small organization in Alexandria, Va., where I helped run events. The company even sent me to Rhode Island to help run a major conference for a long weekend. The best thing about this internship was that it led me to my next one, which was by far the most difficult to get. I applied to the Koch Internship Program where I was given about 5 interviews to test my knowledge of economics and free market systems. It was grueling. After I was accepted, I spent Tuesdays at the headquarters in D.C., and every other day of the week at the American Council for Trustees and Alumni (ACTA). I was there in fall 2012 which also happened to be the year they awarded Regent with an ‘A’ rating in their core curriculum.

Spring 2013 took me to Disney World. I signed up to be an intern in their college program. This was the most unpleasant internship experience. Why? Because customer service is particularly challenging when people are on vacation and have several exhausted children with them. I won’t go into detail but I’m sure you can picture it.

During each of these internships I was a full-time student. Believe me when I say that juggling the two is difficult. I don’t have time to go out after work with friends or spend the weekends sightseeing; this is the price I pay for having a strong resume when I leave college. Each internship is giving me experience that companies want to see. We all know that jobs are scarce now, so anything that might look good on a resume, I jump at the chance to do.

Ultimately, I do not want to work for a company; I want to run a company. One thing that internships and even college has taught me is that I don’t like answering to anyone else. I want to be my own boss. That’s the good thing about multiple internships: you learn what you like and don’t like.

This coming fall is my last semester at Regent and here’s hoping it’s a good one! Like my predecessors, walking across the stage to accept my diploma will be invigorating and another chapter to close in my life. But after that I’ll be thrown into the real world to find a full-time job instead of a part-time internship. Frankly, it’s scary and I’m dreading it, but we all have to grow up sometime.

Tags: , , , ,
Elizabeth Morrison
The author did not add any description text to his profile yet.
No Responses to “Adventures in the Land of Classes and Internships”