17 Jun 2014 VictoriaHedman

Standing On The Promises

No Comments Church

Regent University - treesOne of the things I enjoy most about being home is being able to attend the church I grew up in, which my father also happens to pastor. The congregation is small enough that it has become more like extended family. I’ve learned quite a few lessons from sermons that have been given from that pulpit and challenged to actually apply them throughout the following week. Sometimes, I am simply reminded of God’s never-ending care for His people, mostly through the words of others during testimonies.

A few weeks ago, my father asked us to find a promise from the Word of God to use during testimony time the following week. I had a hard time choosing…. Sunday rolled around and several people stood and gave witness to God’s faithfulness. One woman voiced gratitude for God’s unfailing provision for her family while others praised God for His deliverance, forgiveness, and the promise of freedom from condemnation (Romans 8:1 was the passage used). All of these voices coming together in agreement, testifying to the closeness and care of our Savior took my breath away.

The sheer number of promises that God grants us is… absolutely overwhelming. The best part is that every single one of them is believable and one hundred percent true. God’s consistency attests to the fact that we can rely on His promises. And we take the little things in life that point to this fact for granted, from packaging a day’s catch of fish (a common activity that I partake in at home) to the ability to worship on Sunday (He is risen!). Provision, salvation, companionship, and strength are all things that we are promised. All we have to do is submit to Christ and follow after Him with all our hearts.

There is a hymn that speaks about this very topic, “Standing on the Promises.” One of the verses says, “Standing on the promises that cannot fail, when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, by the living word of God I shall prevail, standing on the promises of God.” When you are in a tight spot, be it financial, physical, or emotional, remember Jesus won’t leave you hanging.

“…and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20b (NKJV)

Song lyrics from:

http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh374.sht

Tags: , ,
Victoria Hedman

BA in English

On-Campus Student

Valdez, Alaska

I’m a Pastor’s Kid who loves Jesus, her family, and people. I also serve on the College Student Leadership Board as a Student Representative. I enjoy reading and writing, hence the degree in English. In the words of C.S. Lewis “you can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
No Responses to “Standing On The Promises”