16 May 2014 VictoriaHedman

Changes on the Home Front

2 Comments Home

Regent University - Divinity BuildingMay. That lovely month where college students all across the nation make their way home. The hassle of packing, finishing finals, and traveling are all a part of the university experience and home becomes that light at the end of the tunnel for many of us. For the past two years, I have made the trek from Regent University all the way back to my hometown of Valdez, Alaska, for the summer break. My excitement is focused on seeing my family again, so the journey goes by fairly quickly now.

Although there is a lot that’s familiar to look forward to back home, there are many changes that have taken place in the four months since Christmas break. I was standing in the kitchen a few days after I returned home. My parents were making dinner and I was hoping that I would be able to help. Normally, I would be given a job right away. But it quickly became apparent that my mom and dad had a system worked out. That’s when it hit me. Even though I had been a part of their household for twenty years, my parents had found a way to adjust to the absence of their oldest child. This is just one example of the many changes I’ve encountered–both in my family and around the town that I’ve called home for eleven years.

Regent University - Boat Harbor, Valdez, AKIt can be intimidating going back home. You may find that the once-familiar routines have changed or some other aspect has been reshaped. As I reflected on this, it struck me how very few things in our lives are consistent. Routines, preferences, even people. The world around us is constantly in flux. Temporary panic accompanied this realization. However, I was able to latch on to one thought: that God never changes. Several places in Scripture speak about how God endures above all else. Just like a boulder positioned in a rushing river–when everything else is flowing by, Jesus is that solid rock that the river has to go around. When life just seems crazy, remember Hebrews 13:8, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”

Tags: , ,
Victoria Hedman

BA in English

On-Campus Student

Valdez, Alaska

I’m a Pastor’s Kid who loves Jesus, her family, and people. I also serve on the College Student Leadership Board as a Student Representative. I enjoy reading and writing, hence the degree in English. In the words of C.S. Lewis “you can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

2 Responses to “Changes on the Home Front”

1. Reply Lucia Hedman says:

Love this thought because we are the parents and yes , things are in flux for us as well adjusting to life without our children.

2. Reply Debbie Kufel says:

So true….everything around about us changes…but one thing remains…Jesus…the same yesterday, today and forever! Adjusting to temporal changes is sometimes difficult but remembering that Christ never changes makes every change easier to endure and to adapt to! Great article Victoria…believe me, your family may have adapted to your absence, but you are an integral part of that family….pick up a dish cloth!!!