08 Nov 2013 LeilaMills

New School Year, New Experiences

No Comments School

Regent University - Flag football

They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Well I am neither old nor a dog but I am a senior at Regent and that counts for something, right? The point I’m trying to make is that I’ve been doing a lot of the same things every year at Regent. I do homework, I study, I work, I serve in some sort of leadership position, I socialize, and repeat. Well this year, I’ve decided to try something new to extend myself a bit further.

And that new thing is flag football!

This year some friends and I started the first ever all-female flag football team at the undergraduate level and we are the “Coyotes!” We banded together about the third week into school. We are not the best…yet. Other teams have been together for years and have been practicing off season. With all that against us, I still say we have a chance. Practicing three times a week at 6:45 am has certainly been a struggle, but it is one that has made us stronger. I understand new aspects of football: plays, drills, routes, and other things that I never thought to learn. I’m building great relationships with the girls that show up for practice and I know I can trust them on the field.

I never saw myself as a flag football player but I’m glad I decided to take the chance to try out something new. There have been hard and frustrating moments but they are outweighed by the good, rewarding, fun ones. I know it is going to be a good season.

Leila Mills

BA in Communication

On-Campus Student

Virginia Beach, VA

Living every day like a mini vacation! Born and raised in VA Beach, VA. Fond of bucket lists and cupcakes. Spending my time trying to find the path the Lord made for me.

<p class="videoBlogger">Video Blogger</p>
No Responses to “New School Year, New Experiences”