03 Sep 2013 TonyaJohnson

Part 1- Staying Together: Fun and Fellowship at a NYC Alumni Dinner

2 Comments Community, School

Regent University - alumni dinnerMy husband and I recently had the wonderful opportunity to attend Regent University’s Midtown Meet and Greet at the Salmon River Restaurant in New York City. It’s a place where RU leaders from Virginia and New York, along with alumni, guests, and current students, can mingle, dine, reminisce, catch up, discuss new happenings, network and stay connected. If you like warm, inviting and intimate places, then Regent’s Annual Alumni Dinner is the place for you.

At this year’s event, I was able to talk with several Regent “family members” and friends during and after dinner.

I asked the following three questions:

1. How would you describe your experiences at Regent University?
  2. How have you used the knowledge that you obtained by attending Regent University to impact your peers and the world for Jesus Christ?
  3. Is there anything that you would like to share with current and prospective students to inspire/empower them?

Here’s what some of our RU colleagues had to say:

1. Lieutenant Jonathan Shumate, School of Law, Class of 2007

Q- How would you describe your experiences at Regent University?

R- “I had a really wonderful time when I went to Regent. I thoroughly enjoyed the classes and professors who were there. But more importantly, after spending my first year there in law school, I was able to communicate with friends who had gone to other law schools and they described some of the experiences they had in their law schools, which was very cut throat and competitive. They felt degraded and demeaned sometimes by their professors, and it was almost like their professors were playing a game of hide the ball when it came to learning the law and learning what you needed to know to be successful. I had the opposite experience at Regent University.

I felt that each of my professors really cared about me as an individual. They took the time if I had questions or wanted to see them afterwards; their doors were always open. They were always willing to sit down and talk with me about the difficulties I was having in understanding the different legal theories and I saw that they really were there to foster my career as an attorney. They wanted to be mentors to us and to lead us not only in an understanding of the law itself, but of the Christian basis and background of the law and how we can be a light in the world where there is so much darkness. They taught us how to  combine our knowledge with our Christian faith to make an impact on the world for the better.

I had some really amazing experiences. I got to be in a class with Randy Singer (renowned author pastor and radio host) and was able to go on his radio show, which was broadcast nationally. I was able to work for the American Center For Law and Justice for Jay Sekulow, and was able to work on some amazing cases. I really felt that my time there in learning was extremely valuable. I gained an understanding of the law and a greater understanding of being an American; a patriot; and of what it means to be somebody who tries to protect the freedoms established by our forefathers in the constitution of the United States. The professors really trained us to be effective advocates in the court room and for Christ. Those experiences I will always treasure. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend that any Christian who is considering going to law school to choose Regent.

Regent University - Shumate and wifeQ- How have you used the knowledge you obtained at Regent University to impact your peers and the world for Jesus Christ?

R –I went on to become a Judge Advocate in the United States Coast Guard and take every opportunity I can to share my faith with those who are around me. I attempt to make positive changes both in the policy and the laws that exist in the Coast Guard.  In those cases where I do defend clients or do make policy decisions, write legal briefs, or make analysis decisions for commanding officers who are in the field conducting operations, I try to make sure that I place it in a frame work of Christian principles and do my best to uphold those principles. In a military context, I do what I can to advance the cause of Christ as well as to be that light that shines. I believe that my prayers have had major impacts on policy decisions.

Q- Is there anything you would like to share with current and prospective students to inspire them?

R- I would say, when you are faithful to God’s principles, and when you really look into the Scriptures and find out what is it that God wants you to do, if you’re faithful, and disciplined, I think God will grant you favor and He will guide your path. You know, “the steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD” (Psalm 37:23); and I have seen that in my own life.

2. Rory Joseph Wells, School of Law, Class of 2000

Q-How would you describe your experiences at Regent University?

R- “My experiences were life changing and I could talk about my legal education and all the positive benefits that it has brought me, but in addition to the legal training, what I wasn’t expecting and what has truly blessed me is my gaining of lifelong friends with my fellow graduates from my class and the spiritual diversity that I encountered at Regent University. I come to appreciate it more and more the further away I am.”

Q- How have you used the knowledge you obtained at Regent University to impact your peers and the world for Jesus Christ?

R-  “I consider my work my ministry, so even though I am an assistant prosecutor and I evaluate and prosecute criminal cases, I still have to represent Christ in a way that reflects honor upon Him and I still have to provide a testimony to my peers, my coworkers and other attorneys in the community. It’s my goal in whatever I’m doing, whether I’m socializing with friends, other attorneys or actually creating work product, to try to reflect Christ as best as I can”.

Q-Is there anything else you would like to share with current and prospective students to inspire/empower them?

R- “Absolutely! I would tell them to try to appreciate where they’re at and what they’re exposed to. Sometimes when you’re in school, you spend more time on the particulars that are not so important; just focus really on why you’re there and what God wants to instruct and show you and your experience will be much richer; and you can contribute to the community.

3. Deborah Mazyck, College of Arts & Sciences, Class of 2008

How would you describe your experiences at Regent University?

R- “I found my experiences at Regent to be very enlightening. I actually really learned a lot at Regent about leadership, taking charge of my life, finding my purpose and really finding out what God has planned for me. Regent is a great school, and I love the fact that you’re never forgotten. Once you leave, you’re still connected. I think my first year after graduation I still continued to receive phone calls about prayer and asking me if I had any prayer requests. That, to me, just gave me a great connection to the school. I feel eternally connected.

Q-How have you used the knowledge that you’ve obtained by attending Regent

to impact your peers and the world for Jesus Christ?

R-“Currently, I’m still in a church where I have been for 20 years., While obtaining my degree and also afterwards, I believe that Regent has enhanced my ministry, increased my knowledge of the Word, gave me a greater understanding of how to invite the presence of God and how to have a great connection with God and be able to rely, depend on and trust Him.I use that to do workshops and seminars, teaching classes and preaching and just empowering others to do what they need to do to be fulfilled in their own lives.”

Q-Is there anything that you would like to share with current and prospective students to encourage and inspire them?

R- “I would say being in school and taking classes can be quite challenging, particularly when you’re living a life and you have a family and you have a full time job; it can be very challenging. The best thing I can say: be inspired and always make sure that you live a life that is well balanced. Don’t focus so much on studies that you forget about the other people in your life. We have a tendency sometimes to shut people out, and shut things down. Just be well balanced, and be focused in your studies, but remember: God first, family second, and work third.”

To be continued…  

Tonya Johnson

M.Ed. in Christian School Program

Online Student

New York, NY

I am blessed with a wonderful family and believe that nothing is accidential, but carefully orchestrated and presented by an all-wise, all knowing, all powerful and mighty God. Praying daily to be a willing instrument in His divine plan.

2 Responses to “Part 1- Staying Together: Fun and Fellowship at a NYC Alumni Dinner”

1. Reply Semangat says:

It’s look so amazing and fun Fellowship friends. i hope that i can join the NYC Alumni Dinner with all of you.
    Have a great and fun dinner.. :D