02 Sep 2013 LeilaMills

Summer Jobs: Finding My Niche

No Comments Work

Regent UNiversity - StudentThe weather in Virginia Beach may have taken a while to catch up, but it is finally summertime! The finals are done, half of my friends are gone, and I am now on that nine to five work schedule. I currently work in undergraduate admissions where I have worked for about two and a half years now. Last summer I worked as a transcript coordinator. This involved a lot of detail-oriented work and data entry. It was a great start and really helped me get to know my coworkers in the office.

This summer I’ve moved on over to assist with special events. I also secured an internship within Regent working on orientations. I help plan Discover Regent events, welcome summer groups, and learn the nitty-gritty details of how an office plans SOAR, Transfer Transitions, and Campus Connection. Between my job and internship I’m working around 40 hours a week. In that time, I have found that I learn as much on the job about myself as I do in the classroom.

College is the perfect time to move around in different jobs, explore potential career paths, build a network, and really find out what you enjoy in a professional setting. This doesn’t mean that I don’t value the learning I do in the classroom. In fact, the two seem to go hand in hand. The communication skills I learned during the year I now implement in my office. I have learned so much about myself during this time.

For example, I’m an idealist and a big picture thinker. I only like working with the details through creative outlets. I have the most energy when I am interacting with others. All this and so much more are elements of my personality that were revealed through my job experience at Regent. So don’t waste time waiting to get a job until after you graduate. The time is now because the experience you gain and the people you meet will be beneficial later in life.

Leila Mills

BA in Communication

On-Campus Student

Virginia Beach, VA

Living every day like a mini vacation! Born and raised in VA Beach, VA. Fond of bucket lists and cupcakes. Spending my time trying to find the path the Lord made for me.

<p class="videoBlogger">Video Blogger</p>
No Responses to “Summer Jobs: Finding My Niche”