When God was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, it was because of the wickedness of the people in the country. It was not because of one person or because of the government; it was because of the actions of those living within the country. Our own actions, even if they are small, can have vast effects on our country. I believe that praying for our country is the greatest action that we can take. Regardless of where you are living, if you believe in God, then your prayers should also be for your country.
The benefits of praying for our country are tremendous. Prayers for our country can:
1. Reduce violence. The more we pray for the hearts of the people, the better the people become.
2. Increase God’s presence. Calling on the name of the Lord can bring His presence within our midst.
3. Empower our leaders. Many of us believe that voting is what brings our leaders into power. Regardless of for whom we vote, the results are from God.
4. Help us contribute to the solution rather than complain about the problem. Knowing that we are praying for our country gives us the satisfaction of knowing that we are making a difference.
5. Humble us. Most people pray only for themselves. When we pray for our country, we begin to realize that praying for others is not only what we need to do but what we should want to do.
Abraham begs God to spare the righteous in Sodom, and God honors his request. Our prayers can save the righteous in our country, too. We must pray for our country because today’s threats, violence, and depression are on the rise, and God is waiting for us to pray for our country. Our prayers are powerful; this is the most powerful tool that we have to use in the midst of adversity. Once we practice praying for our country on a daily basis, we can start seeing the power of God at work within our lives and the lives of those around us. I pray that we will start praying for our country, so that we can have the greatest impact on not only our own lives but the lives of others.