10 Jun 2013 RyanArmes

Faith of a Child

No Comments Church

Jesus is always there—every step of the way. I know, first hand, that it is easy to get discouraged. It is all too easy to let this life distract us from our relationship with Jesus, but He is always there. Through homework, He is there. Through finals, He is there.  He just wants to love us and use us for His glory. Is there anything better? I hope this encouraged you, friends. Be blessed.

If you and I were having a conversation in the hallway and I suddenly stopped, looked both ways, firmly but politely grabbed you by the arm, pulled you to the side, and whispered to you in all seriousness, “Aslan is on the move!” you would probably consider discretely calling for some help out of concern for your own safety.  Unless, of course, you know who Aslan is and then you might chuckle and recommend that I take a short break from reading C.S. Lewis books  (just a short one though).

Every spring when the weather begins to change and natural life emerges from death, my wife and I like to say to our young girls, “Aslan is on the move!”  Having read C.S. Lewis’ book Chronicles of Narnia, they know exactly what I’m talking
about. There is a part in the story where Mr. Beaver whispers those powerful words to the Pevensie children, and their hearts are stirred with hope and excitement.

Evil has had its day, but now, Aslan, the lion creator of Narnia, has formed an army to defeat the armies of the White Witch. As the news spreads of Aslan’s impending victory, winter subsides and the beauty and life of spring emerge. The creatures of Narnia are empowered to stand up to evil, and reclaim their land. My girls usually cower in embarrassment when we utter those words, but only because they, too, are stirred to hope and excitement and are merely shy of the non-verbal expressions that those words certainly arouse. My wife and I say it to them anyway because we get a kick out of the response.

In that part of the story, C.S. Lewis remarkably captures the sense of hope and excitement that is stirred when Christians become aware of a legitimate movement of the Holy Spirit. If we were to communicate those words based on Earth’s reality, we would whisper, “The Holy Spirit is on the move!”  The simple faith of believing it, however, is the same as that of a child.

The Bible often mentions the genuine faith of a child, to include Jesus himself acknowledging it three different times in the synoptic gospels. Additionally, Psalm 8:2 tells us, “From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength because of Your adversaries, to make the enemy and the revengeful cease.” (NASB) According to Scripture, we stand a lot to learn from the faith of a child.

I will never forget watching an orientation video shortly before starting my first Regent course. In it was a warning that the Enemy would make every effort to disrupt my studies. I initially disregarded it, thinking that the Enemy doesn’t care about my level of education; therefore, he won’t waste a lot of his time disrupting it. I was wrong. During every single course that I have taken at Regent (and I am on my 10th course), I have come under some form of disruptive attack and every time I have cried out to God for help.

The Enemy is very concerned about Christians who are empowered with a quality education (as he is concerned about all Christians empowered to do any type of work for the Lord). Our strength for victory in our studies and for what we use our studies outside of the university are found in relying on God’s Word and the Holy Spirit. If we rely on Him, He will empower us, evil WILL shudder, and fellow Christians, as well as some of those who are held captive, will stir with hope and excitement!

So the next time someone whispers to you, “Aslan is on the move!” or “The Holy Spirit is on the move!” have the faith of a child. Seek the legitimacy of the pronouncement through prayer and God’s Word and you might be surprised at the victory He wants to empower you with to reach out to those around you!

. .

Ryan Armes

MA in Organizational Leadership

Online Student

Evansville, IN

Kung Fu blackbelt. In an alternate world where I’m not petrified of audiences, I’d be an actor. Would offer you peanut butter for your sandwich, but I’m currently finishing the last spoonful as I type.
No Responses to “Faith of a Child”