11 Feb 2013 FrederickJones II

Online Education: You Will Succeed

No Comments School

Online education has experienced dramatic expansion and growth. Institutions of higher learning continue to increase online course offerings in an effort to satisfy student demand. This exponential growth is possible at all educational levels with the advancement of internet technology, since learning can occur anytime, anywhere. While this promise is impressive, it is not without unintended negative consequences.Regent University - studying

The article, “Feelings of Alienation and Community A
mong Higher Education Students in a Virtual Classroom,”
by Alfred Rovai and Mervyn Wighting, identifies that some online students feel an absence of social support and/or social connection, inability to focus for an extensive amount of time, or may give up when encountered by failure. In addition, students who are not technologically prepared for online courses can experience a negative impact on their confidence to complete the degree program and may become frustrated when they require assistance beyond what an instructor or help desk can provide.

I was a traditional classroom student who commuted from work to school (and vice-versa), and I was stressed the majority of the time. Living in a major metropolitan city, I had to figure out different routes for traffic to make it to school on time because some professors counted students absent if they shut the door, and it was embarrassing because the whole class would stare at the students for being late. Therefore, when I enrolled in Regent University’s  online program, it gave me the flexibility to create my own work and school schedule, and I knew when my assignments were due.

Regent University’s online support system–such as the writing lab, online community support and mentorship, adjunct professors, and professional staff–want you to succeed in your professional career and in your spiritual relationship with God and man. To be honest, my first year and a half was challenging as an online student because I realized that I was a horrible writer. . Regent University’s writing center assisted me with the tools to make writing enjoyable and fun.

If you are struggling to hold things together between family, work and school, and you feel overwhelmed and want to withdraw,  take a moment to inhale and exhale deeply. Find peace within your soul and simply ask God the Father (Mat. 7:8; 21:22) to give you wisdom, knowledge, competence, strength, focus, and drive to succeed with Regent’s online learning program. Allow Him to guide you through the program so that you can graduate from a position of rest.

Frederick Jones II

BS in Business

Online Student

Atlanta, GA

Joyfully married, expecting father who believes his son and future generations should receive spiritual, not just material inheritances from their fathers.
No Responses to “Online Education: You Will Succeed”