05 Dec 2012 WendyHarris

Do You Believe or Support the Belief of Others?

1 Comment Church, Home

This post is not intended for young children.

This past summer a church leader in my 9-year old daughter’s Vacation Bible School class abruptly revealed the truth of Santa Claus in the name of honesty. While I don’t believe this individual intentionally set out to disillusion her entire class of children, she has historically taken a stand against lying in this manner.

I confess I don’t know the right thing to do with this dilemma. I agree that systematically lying to our children seems wrong. However, it also doesn’t seem right to rob children of this fanciful myth. Additionally, aren’t these great opportunities for our churches to engage our neighborhood children?

Regent University - children

On top of this overarching dilemma, I have the issue of dealing with this church leader. It’s not that I intend to confront her in any way. However, I have a younger daughter who will continue to be invited to Vacation Bible School at this church. This happens to be the church where my mother attends and I grew up. The church family is full of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I would love for my daughters to continue attending this Vacation Bible School while spending the week with their grandmother.

So I ask for your help! How did/do you handle the concept of Santa Claus with your children? Has anyone found a good way to integrate the two while staying faithful to the Bible? In addition, of course, would you continue to let your children attend this Vacation Bible School?

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom and experiences!

Wendy Harris

Ed. D. Distance Education

Online Student

Missouri City, TX

Married mother of three working in occupational safety and health for a large international oil and gas services company.

One Response to “Do You Believe or Support the Belief of Others?”

1. Reply Johanna says:

In my family, Santa Claus was never an issue. My parents never taught us to believe in him, so he was a character we could enjoy during Christmas, but we never “believed” in him. I think knowing where our gifts really came from helped me to appreciate my parents and their thoughtfulness a lot more than if I had started my life believing they came from Dear Saint Nick.

I don’t know of anywhere in the Bible where it says “Lie to your kids as long as you think it will be fun for them or will help them keep a ‘fanciful myth.’” Do I think it’s wrong to believe in Santa Claus? Not strongly, but I think when God says not to lie there is a reason for it. Sometimes I wonder if lying in this type of, quote on quote, acceptable way teaches our kids that it’s okay to lie as long as we have a good reason.

When Santa Claus becomes a focal point of Christmas that is one more distraction from the true reason for Christmas, which is Christ’s birth. We are all born selfish, children especially. So why give them one more reason to focus on themselves? When you are dealing with Santa Claus, kids generally spend a good amount of time thinking about what THEY want, what Santa is going to get THEM. When Christmas should be about what we (children included) can give. For that reason (and a few others), I won’t be teaching my kids about Santa Claus. They will learn about St. Nick and where the idea of Santa Claus came from, but I will try to make sure fact and fiction are kept separate.

-Johanna (livefor1@gmail.com)