29 Oct 2012 JennaEdwards

Fasting is a Beautiful Thing

No Comments Church

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? - Isaiah 58:6

Regent University - ChapelEvery year since beginning college at Regent, I fast from one thing. I try to really focus on Jesus and my studies and to do that, I let go of something that I feel is getting in the way of it. My freshman year, I chose to fast from television. My sophomore year, I chose to fast from Facebook and Twitter.

This year, I chose to start a fast from Facebook. I let my family & friends know simply because it is one of the only ways of communication I have with them. Fasting is a beautiful thing. It truly allows us to focus on what really matters–God.

This life is busy. Things crowd our minds, and our judgment, every single day. In this crazy life, it is so important to place God first in everything, and fasting allows us to do just that, when we take it seriously.

We all know how Facebook is–we get on to check it for a minute and we stay on for thirty minutes to an hour doing nothing but being nosy. I decided that wasn’t satisfying. It doesn’t fill me like Jesus does. I decided every time I even have a thought about Facebook, I am going to pick up my Bible. Throughout this fast (until Easter), I want to have read the Bible completely through once.

It’s time we stop being addicted to social media and become addicted to the Father.

“My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” - Psalm 73:26

Jenna Edwards

BA in Christian Ministry / BS in Psychology

On-Campus Student

Shinnston, WV

So in awe of seeing God move in the diversity and unique experiences of day-to-day college campus life at Regent! I bake to relieve stress and LOVE spicy foods. How much? Hand me a jalapeno and see.
No Responses to “Fasting is a Beautiful Thing”